So, since there is already a lot of controversy about the Odd-Even Rule imposed by the Delhi Government, about which you could read here, so I will keep my blabbering mouth shut about it. Also, promise this post is not about some unsavory incident that happened in Varanasi with a certain politician, so controversy mongers, you will have to be disappointed again. Eggs Kejriwal is a troll-free, yummilicious breakfast and nothing else.
View this post on Instagram
Eggs Kejriwal in the making – Breakfast 59 of #100happybreakfasts ! Really, I am not kidding, you could Google it! And it has nothing to do with what happens in New Delhi! 😀 I solemnly swear to be up to no trolling! 😁😝😂 Eggs Kejriwal is two sunny sides up on a toast with lots of green chillies (in pic, 1 tsp of capsicum and chilly each) and melted cheese ( half of a processed cheese slice, please don't feel guilty 😉 ). That's it! Simple as it can get. Eggs Kejriwal was conceived at Willingdon Sports Club, Mumbai by Mr. Devi Prasad Kejriwal, where he was a regular. Mr. Kejriwal used to have his fill of eggs because being a Marwaari household, eggs were a taboo at home. He was rumored to have the habit of ordering this daily. The simplicity of this dish is its USP. You could add onions and tomatoes, but I love how the heat of the fiery green chillies is mellowed down by the cheese. Too good, no salt or pepper or ketchup needed, to be honest. #eggskejriwal #sunnysideupeggs #breakfastinthemaking #eggcellentbreakfast #whatsforbreakfast #eggsforbreakfast #eggstagram #eggs #breakfasttime #eggcellent #breakfast #œuf #perkmeup #moodlifter #whatsforbreakfast #whatsonmyplate #breakfastclub #breakfastporn #breakfastforkings #myblrbrkfst #igers #eggcited #eggcellentbreakfast #foodporn #foodiediaries #foodiechronicles #srujans100happybreakfasts #unoeuf #unoeufstagram #eggporn #theurbanspice
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away…. Ermm , sorry for getting carried away, the story does not go like that. It’s somewhat like this. Mr. Devi Prasad Kejriwal was a, once upon a time, a regular at the Willingdon Sports Club, Mumbai. Now, Mr. Kejriwal was a Marwaari, which meant that cooking eggs at home was a strict no-no. So, despite the taboo, the rebel that Mr. Kejriwal was, he used to order this when he used to go clubbing. It was a perfect, between-the-meals snack, heavy enough to keep one going and still short of a full meal.
In simplest words, Eggs Kejriwal is a dish made up of two sunny sides up on a toast, topped with molten cheese and lots of green chilies, the latter coming from Mr. Devi Prasad Kejriwal’s heat loving Marwaari genes. Since Willingdon has a members-only policy, it is very difficult to try out this brilliant thing for us. Later on, a couple of restaurants have started to a started to serve their own versions of this dish, each of them no doubt must be good.
The beauty of this dish lies in how the fiery chillies, eggs and cheese combine and compliment each other. The cheese can be minimal, as low as just, half of a processed cheese slices, and yet the dish is extremely creamy, owing to the sunny sides up. The heat from the chilies is mellowed down by the cheese and what comes to the plate is bliss!
Recipe ( serves 1)
- 2 eggs
- Some butter
- An English muffin or two slices of bread
- A few green chillies, finely chopped
- A slice of cheese, or some grated cheese, any kind of cheese is fine, but prefer the kind which melts
- Heat a blob of butter in the pan and toast the bread. Remove from the pan. Set it aside for assembly later.
- Add some more butter to the pan and break two eggs. Sprinkle some chopped chillies on top. Cook them sunny side up style.
- You may cook the yolk completely or leave it runny, it’s up to your liking.
- Once it is almost done, sprinkle some cheese on top, or if you are using a slice, tear it into small pieces and sprinkle on top.
- Cook for a few more minutes. Place on the toasted bread.
- You may remove the sunny side up from the pan, and place the toasted bread back on the pan, place sunny sides up on it, and toast for a few more seconds for an even crispier toast.
- Serve hot!