This Salad was a winner by all means! We both ate raw spinach in a salad for the first time but didn’t felt like we were torturing ourselves. Also, this was my first time attempting the balsamic reduction, and I love its pairing with other sharp citrusy flavors.The strawberries are in season, so no more excuses of not buying enough berries.
So, without further blabbering, I will get down to the recipe.
- 2 cups strawberries, cleaned and sliced or halved
- 100 gms of cottage cheese / paneer, soaked in warm salty water for about 10 minutes and then crumbled,
- 1 cup baby spinach, cleaned and rinsed,
- A handful of almonds, toasted and slivered/sliced,
- 3 tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp of honey
- a tbsp of water
- In a small heavy bottomed pan, take the Balsamic Vinegar, honey and water. On a low flame, heat the mixture well stirring frequently. Once it starts bubbling rapidly and just starts to get a bit thick, take it off the flame. There is no precise measure here. The mixture will thicken further on cooling down, so take a call based on your judgment. We are looking for a molasses or honey kind of texture here. Let it cool down.
- In a large bowl, take the strawberries (reserving a few for garnish) , half the crumbled cottage cheese and the almonds. Tear half the spinach by and add into the mix. Season with salt if you desire, I didn’t. Mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Just before serving, line two serving bowls with the rest of the spinach. Divide the prepared mixture into the bowls. Sprinkle rest of the crumbled cheese and drizzle with the Balsamic reduction on top. Serve!