I am starting my 2016 Blogging journey with a breakfast recipe (
again) and I am not sorry! Somehow, breakfast is the meal where I feel the most adventurous. Hopefully, I will be able to channelise my enthusiasm to my other meals too! 🙂
Tortilla Española or Tortilla de Patatas or the Spanish Omelette is a Spanish dish consisting of eggs cooked with potatoes. Traditionally, only potatoes are used to make this beautiful dish. However, you may add onions in which case it is called Tortilla de Patatas con Cebolla. The dish is quite hearty and it is going to one of those recipes I am going to book-mark for the ‘home-alone’ days or cooking in a pantry with limited ingredients!
First Breakfast of the year in the making – Tortilla Española / Tortilla de Patatas / Spanish Omelette in the making! Because @roohaninaik is here, most of the breakfasts will be variations of egg based recipes the way she likes them! Spanish Omelette is a big pie-like version of our Indian Masala Omelette , but with minimal ingredients! Apart from eggs, the omelette has thinly sliced potatoes, sliced onions, salt and pepper! I am off to give the omelette the dreaded, but customary flip! Hope it stays intact! ☺ #eggcellent #eggcellentbreakfast #spanishomelette #tortillaespañola #tortilladepatatas #breakfastinthemaking #eggcellent #breakfast #eggs #perkmeup #moodlifter #whatsforbreakfast #whatsonmyplate #breakfasttime #breakfastclub #breakfastporn #breakfastforkings #myblrbrkfst #myblr #igers #comfortfood #eggcited #eggcellentbreakfast #foodporn #foodiediaries #foodiechronicles
- 6 tbsp of cooking oil,
- 1 medium sized potato, thinly sliced *see notes,
- 1 big onion, finely chopped *see notes,
- salt, to taste
- 4 regular eggs, ( you can add more if you want) *see notes,
- small handful of coriander leaves / cilantro / parsley (optional)
- freshly ground pepper, to garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a shallow saucepan / skillet. Add the sliced potatoes and onions to the pan.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs in a small bowl and whisk well.
- Cook on a medium heat till the onions are golden brown and the potatoes are cooked yet firm. Drain the potatoes and the onions into a bowl.
- Reserve the oil and add the potatoes and onions to the beaten eggs. Let them stand for about 10 mins.
- From the reserved oil, take about a tsp of oil back into the sauce you used for frying potatoes. Once hot, pour the mixture of eggs and potatoes into the pan forming a thick layer.
- Turn the flame to medium, cover the pan with a lid and cook the eggs till they are firm and no longer runny. Sprinkle some coriander leaves and freshly cracked pepper on top.
- Using a spatula, gently loosen the omelette from the sides of the pan.
- Now cover the pan with a plate, about an inch wider than the mouth of the frying pan. Very carefully, invert both of them, so that the omelette slides into the plate.
- Now put the pan back on the heat and using a spatula, gently ease the omelette back in. Cook for a few minutes, only slightly browning the top.
- Turn the flame off. Slide the omelette off the pan, let is cool slight, Cut into wedges and serve hot or at room temperature. Buen Provecho!
Tortilla Española / Spanish Omelette / Tortilla de Patatas con Cebolla, Toast and Coorg Coffee for Breakfast ~ Breakfast 51 of #100happybreakfasts ! First breakfast of the year and one of the many breakfasts to come in @roohaninaik's honor! #spanishomelette #tortillaespañola #tortilladepatatas #breakfast #eggs #perkmeup #moodlifter #whatsforbreakfast #whatsonmyplate #parsibreakfast #breakfasttime #breakfastclub #breakfastporn #breakfastforkings #toast #coffee #myblrbrkfst #myblr #igers #vscocam #vscofood #comfortfood #srujans100happybreakfasts #eggcited #eggcellentbreakfast