As a child, I have not really liked carrots raw. They are sweet, they are nice, but as a kid, my objection to the chopped carrots in a salad was that they had to be chewed for a longer time! 😉 Yes, I was lazy as kid, no I did not grow into a lazy adult!
Moroccan Chickpea and Carrot Salad ~ Salad 16 of #100happysalads ! This is a twist on the classic carrot and raisin salad, albeit a healthier one! The base is 1 cup pressure cooked / canned chickpeas, 3 small grated carrots, one small tomato, one small onion finely chopped and large handfuls of mint and coriander. The dressing is 2 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp of honey and juice of one large lemon whisked with salt , pepper, and cumin! Top with black currants / raisins soaked in warm water for 10 mins. I stumbled upon this recipe while looking for different Chickpea Salads on @onceuponachef 's website! I have adapted the recipe to Indian Ingredients! #moroccansalad #chickpea #carrot #raisins #saladnight #saladfordinner #vegan #glutenfree #paleo #whatsonmyplate #whatsfordinner #vscocam #igers #healthyfoodporn #healthyyetdelicious #saladporn #rabbitfood #srujans100happysalads
In my eternal search for healthy salads, I recently stumbled on this beautiful salad on a delightful blog called Once Upon a Chef. I have visited this blog the first time but fell in love with this recipe as if it was made for me! Chickpeas so proteins – check, carrots so beta-carotene – check, and the rest of the things mean such a yummy salad! Why would not love it!! I have adapted the recipe to the ingredients available here in India.
Serves 2 as a stand-alone dinner or 4 as a side.
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp, olive oil
- juice from one large lemon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- two fat pinches ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Salad:
- 3 small carrots,
- a handful of black currants/raisins, if dried then soak in luke warm water for 10 mins
- a handful of chopped fresh mint
- a handful of chopped coriander leaves / cilantro
- 1/2 cup of chickpeas, soaked for 8 hours or more and pressure cooked, till cooked yet firm and holding their shape
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped,
- Take all of the ingredients for the salad other than the herbs in a large bowl and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for a while.
- Before serving, whisk all the ingredients for dressing together. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary (you might need more salt, lemon or honey, depending on the sweetness of the carrots). Pour over the prepared Salad and toss lightly.
- Garnish with herbs and give a final toss.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature. Tastes good either way!